Saturday, July 16, 2005

Bastille Day celebrations

Bastille Day celebrations started the night before Bastille Day. Me and some friends from the dorm dressed up and went to the Bastille, where the old Prison used to be. Now it is a huge square with a beautiful new Opera House at it.

There was a party in the square. It was a huge concert celebrating the music of Brasil. Apparently every year France chooses a different country to "celebrate" on Bastille Day. This year is was Brasil.

After hanging out at the concert for a bit we headed off to the "fireman's ball." It is a huge party held at each of the firehouses in France. The biggest and rowdiest firehouse happened to be located just down the street from our dorm.

When we got there at midnight there was a line to get in that snaked around the firehouse and down the block. I was not too excited to wait to get in so my firend, Diana and I looked for another way in. And we found it. We went in the exit and it wasn't hard to do. Just as my dad says, "act like you know exactly what you are doing(or where you are going) and no one will question you." Once again we have provedc this to be true.

The fireman's ball ending up being a club like situation. A lot of sweating bodies squished together dancing. Except this place was covered with firemen with their shirts off. Which isn't that impressive of a scene, given the guys here are not buff at all.

Oh well. The night ended in a local cafe where we ate crepes and whatever else sounded good at 4 in the morning.

When I woke up the next day I went, with my roommate to the Champs Elyseè and looked at the place all decorated with French flags, quite cool. We ended the night watching the fireworksd go off at the Eiffel Tower. Cool. then I went to bed because I was tired.

Yeah, next weekend I am taking a trip to Nice. Some quite time at the beach getting a tan and swimming in the Mediterranean. YEAH!

Ciào-Marisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home