Thursday, July 07, 2005

The march through the Louvre

It was time to visit the Louvre yesterday. I am hoping that it will be one of many visits. I started out staying with my tour group, but I soon realized that they were going to take me on the same march through the Louvre that my Dad did in December. I didn't like it the first time and I sure as heck wasn't going to repeat in voluntarily.

So I grabbed a map on the Louvre and sat down to form a game plan. I decided I wanted to go visit the older, non-painting, exhibits of the Louvre. I can't UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES bear to see another Italian rennisance painting. I will break out in hives if I do.

I saw many ancient sculptures. Although nothing was quite as dazziling as the Bernini's at Villa Borghese in Rome. But it was still neat to see.

I walked through Napoleon III apartment's. They were much more opulent than any other palace I have seen in Europe. Absolutely gorgeous. After that I stuck with Medieval French art, or the objects d'art wing. I saw some more beautiful stained glass, which I could stare at for hours.

And five hours later, yes 5, I found myself in front of the Mona Lisa once again. I am still not sure why it is so famous. I guess she will never tell. It has been moved to a new wing of the Louvre. The story is the new wing, more like a massive room actually, was created with funding of a large Japanese company. The thought being that more Japanese tourist, probably, would have a chance at viewing it. No one, of course was looking at the other art in the room. But there wasn't much to see.

My visit to the Louvre would not have been complete if I had not visited my favorite form of art. Jewelry. I saw the Crown Jewels of France and the famous Regent Diamond. It is HUGE. No wonder it is worth so much.

I left five hours later, completly exhausted. That was my first visit to the Louvre. Hopefully I can go again. And visit a different floor this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home