Sunday, July 17, 2005

French culture or so I have learned

In my, over two weeks, in Paris I have learned a lot about French culture.

Ordering "water" gets you a small 6 Euro bottle of Evian. Instead, to ask for like regular water you have to order a "carafe l'deau." And you can't just order a carafe of water to drink. The French look down on that. Instead you have to order at least one thing to drink. I usually order Canada Dry.

Parisan drivers think they own the road. Today I was crossing the street, and it was legal I had the little green walking man sign, and a car gunned their engine right as I stepped in front of it. For no apparent reason at all. This wasn't the first time this has happened.

Cafès are usually only open from 12noon until 2:30pm and then from 7pm to 12midnight. It was hard to adjust to having to eat around those times, especially when I first got here. But as time goes on I keep on eating later and later.

Despite all these cafès there are other places to eat. I avoid eating out at the dinner hour because prices for meals are higher and you CAN'T just order a salad. You have to order at least two dishes. Oh, and entreès are not the main dish, plats are. GO FIGURE!

So half of adjusting to life in Paris was just getting used to the different eating culture. But luckily there is a place nearby that serves American style sandwichs like all day. Without them my eating budget would half to be doubled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home